Thursday, February 8, 2007

Reading My Stash

I had dinner with Sarah and Jason tonight at a lobster house (is it a house? Delicious sandwiches were served) and the topic of stash reading came up. Being a joiner too and easily talked into knitting things, I agreed to look for patterns between my yarn and my books. I found one while still at the restaurant.

Yarn: I like tweed and have a strong, exclusionary preference for wool (Jamieson's, Rowan 4-ply, Jo Sharp). I also like traditional designs: fair aisle, cables, anything a traditional yet stylish British woman between WWI and II might wear. A lot of Rowan design by way of Elizabeth Zimmermann. But I digress. I collect and appreciate all tweedy yarn.

Books: Excluding the knitting books, I have several books on natural building: cob houses (a traditional building similar to adobe and found originally in those beautiful limewashed, thatched-roof houses in Devon). I have cookbooks on unprocessed, natural foods. A book on soapmaking and woodworking.

One theme is do-it-yourself traditionalism: how to use wool to create a beautiful vintage sweater, and use unprocessed wool as insulation in a cob house. The other theme is making things myself by hand: a house, hand-dyed wool yarn, food.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I think it's actually called a lobster "shack." Doesn't sound as nice as a lobster house -- "lobster shack" makes me imagine a crotchety old lobster living up in the hills in a rickety wooden building. So where does all of your sci-fi reading relate to your stash, hmm?

ingridknits said...

I actually read Damon's sci-fi books:) While I love them, I don't actually buy them hence I didn't include them in my stash. They're more borrowed stash;)