Thursday, February 1, 2007

Demi has begun

I cast on last night for the sleeve swatch. If I like it, it stays a sleeve otherwise it becomes a swatch. I finished the first 34 rows of ribbing, and in the interest of knitting from the chart both sleeves at once, I'm going to cast on for a second sleeve today and catch it up. Tomorrow I have a class with Liz, who has a wonderful ability to grasp complicated charts and patterns instantly and seemingly effortlessly. Nothing in knitting daunts her. I must learn her mojo.

So far I like it. One thing I noticed with the Rowan pattern - it mentions decreasing at each end but doesn't specify which stitch to decrease. The very last stitch for pattern continuity or one stitch in? (I chose one stitch from the end). I don't often knit from patterns, patterns like Rowan patterns, and am eager to explore the wide world of pattern ambiguity, like condensing an entire page of complex pattern to "Reverse for left side". Rowan knits are gorgeous; I love the way they look. Millions of knitters happily work with these patterns every day, with the seaming, ambiguity, the flat knitting and whatnot.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

It's a pattern, not a set of rules and ordinances enforceable by law. I say do what it says when you want, but most of all just do what you want! (Go, Demi, Go!)

Theresa said...

One stitch in makes it much much easier to seam. I've heard it said that American knitters need a lot more hand-holding than European knitters. Based on the patterns, might be true.